Thursday, February 2, 2012

Music is Free, Motherfuckers

I have no problem buying physical releases from bands, even if I'm just going to put them on my iPod, but I can't bring myself to buy an mp3. As a person who ran a label for 16 years it goes against everything I believe in. Records, tapes, CDs, and shirts all cost money to manufacture, so I charge for them. The audio itself costs me nothing most of the time, and I'd be recording it if people wanted to hear it or not. All the instruments and recording gear in the world wont create music. Music comes from within and costs nothing to create. Bobby McFerrin doesn't spend a dime making his music. I dare anyone to dispute his musical abilities. This post came about because of a discussion on Facebook, but I'll take any chance I can get to expose Bobby McFerrin to a wider audience. If you're wondering what a grind/noise connoisseur like myself is doing listening to BMF, you've probably only heard "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

No comments: